Last week, King Charles celebrated his 75th birthday with friends, family and many aristocratic well-wishers.
Of course, much was made of the mere fact that One Both the emperor’s sons were present on this occasion.
However, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Did Call Charles on the phone and wish him a happy birthday, and insiders say the king happily chatted with his son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren for several minutes.
It was a surprise event, and many expected it to be the end of the long-running feud between the Sussexes and the rest of the royal family.
But although the phone call may have marked the beginning of peace talks, it seems both sides still have a lot of work to do before officially declaring a ceasefire.
According to a new report in the UK newspaper sunday times (via The Daily Beast), Harry and Meghan have No Is invited to spend Christmas with Charles and family at Sandringham House.
And it doesn’t seem like any such invitation is going to come.
An insider told the outlet that Meghan and Harry would likely accept such an invitation amid the recent easing of tensions.
And that makes the insult all the more painful.
“I can’t imagine the Sussexes would decline an invitation to spend time with Her Majesty,” the source says.
“So far, there have been no invitations for the holidays.”
Now, if you grew up in a particularly sarcastic family, your parents may have once said something to you, “What, you need a formal invitation to spend Christmas with us?”
The question is usually asked rhetorically, but in Harry and Meghan’s case, the answer is an unequivocal “Yes!” Will be given with.
As you’ll recall, earlier this year, Charles evicted the Sussexes from Frogmore Cottage, which served as their home base during their trip to the UK.
Harry and Meghan also clashed with the king over security matters, as Charles decided that UK taxpayers would no longer foot the bill for the couple’s personal security on visits to Harry’s home country.
Further complicating the issue is the fact that Buckingham Palace has refused to allow Harry to compensate royal security staff out of his own pocket.
According to Sunday Times source,”Without protection or a place to live in the UK, they now need a ‘formal invitation’ from the King or Buckingham Palace to be able to live on a ‘protected estate’ with adequate security for the entire family.’
And apparently, Raja is adamant on this issue and has made it very clear
Royal aides told the newspaper that “temporary accommodation on royal property, which is covered by tight security, is likely to be made available for Harry, if possible, should he request a short visit.”
Sadly, it doesn’t look like these issues will be resolved before the holiday season.
In form of Times Charles never spent Christmas with Archie and Lily, “nor, it is believed, spent any significant time with them,” the source explains. It is understood there is deep sadness on both sides of the Atlantic over this status quo.
And it looks like this will remain true for the foreseeable future.